1. 程式人生 > >TPO-14-Prepare for a career in journalism

TPO-14-Prepare for a career in journalism

TPO-14-Prepare for a career in journalism
第 1 段
1.Listen to a conversation between a student and his faculty adviser.
請聽一段學生和指導老師之間的對話。
第 2 段
1.Hi, Steve, I schedule this appointment, cause it has been a while since we touched base.
Hi, Steven,我安排了此次會面,因為自從我們開始這事一開已經有一段時間了。
第 3 段
1.I know, I have been very busy. A friend of mine works on the school paper.
我知道,最近我一直很忙,我的一個朋友正在忙於寫論文。
2.He asks me if I would like to try to reporting so I did and I really love it.
他問我是否可以幫他寫一些報道,我答應了,我也真的挺喜歡的。
第 4 段
1.Hey... that's sounds great!
嗨,聽起來很不錯。
第 5 段
1.Yeah... the first article I wrote, it was profile of the chemistry professor_ the one who was the named teacher of the year.


是的,我寫的第一篇報道,是關於化學老師的簡介,這名化學老師被評為年度教師。
2.My article ran on the front page.
我的文章登上校報頭版。
3.When I saw my name, I mean my byline in print, I was hooked.
當我看到自己的名字時,就是看到作者一欄打出我的名字時,我開始入迷了。
4.Now I know this is what I want to do - be a reporter.
現在我知道,這就是我要做的——成為一名記者。
第 6 段
1.Isn't it great to discover something that you really enjoy?
發現自己真的很喜歡的東西不是很妙的事嗎?
2.And I read that article too. It was very good.
我也讀了那篇文章了,寫的真不錯。
第 7 段
1.To be honest, the articles got a lot of editing. In fact I barely recognized a couple of paragraphs.
老實說,那篇文章被修改了很多。事實上我幾乎認不得其中幾段話了。
2.But the editor explained why the changes were made.
但編輯跟我解釋為什麼會有這樣的改動。
3.I learned a lot and my second article didn't need nearly as many changes.
我學到了不少,第二篇文章就幾乎沒有被改動過。

第 8 段
1.Sound like you got a real knack for this.
似乎你已經找到突破口了。
第 9 段
1.Yeah... anyway, I am glad you schedule this meeting because I want to change my major to journalism now.
是的,不管怎樣,我很樂意你安排了此次會面,因為我現在真想轉為新聞專業。
第 10 段
1.Um... the university doesn't offer major in journalism.
嗯,但學校沒有開設新聞專業。
第 11 段
1.Oh no...
哦不會吧。
第 12 段
1.But...
但是……
第 13 段
1.I... I mean... should I transfer to another school, or major in English?
我,我的意思是,我應該轉學到其他學校嗎,或轉為英語專業?
第 14 段
1.Er... wait a minute. Let me explain why the major isn't offered.
額,等一下。我來給你解釋下為什麼不開設這門專業。
2.Editors at the newspapers... editors... um...
報紙的編輯,嗯,
3.I mean when you apply for a reporting job, editors look at the two things: they want to see clips, you know, some of your published articles; they also want you to try out. They'll give you an assignment like... covering a press conference or some other event, then see if you can craft the story about it, accurately, on deadline.
我的意思是,當你申請記者的工作時,編輯會考察兩方面的東西。他們會要看某些剪輯,你知道,你一些發表了的文章。他們也要進行選拔,他們會給你一項任務,比如,播放某些場合的會議內容,然後看看你能否在截止日期之前,寫出一篇新聞稿來。
第 15 段
1.So they don't even to look at my major?
那麼他們甚至不看你是什麼專業的?
第 16 段
1.It is not that they don't look at it... it is... well, having a degree in something other than journalism should actually work to your advantage.
並不是說他們不看,而是,嗯,獲取其他專業的學位而不是新聞業,應該會對你的工作更有利。
第 17 段
1.How?
怎樣個有利法
第 18 段
1.Most journalists specialized these days. They only write about science or business or technology for example.
現在很多專業記者,比如說,他們只寫關於科技和商業的文章。
2.Is there a type of reporting you think you may like to specialize then?
你是否有某一型別的報道是你擅長的
第 19 段
1.Well... I think it can be really cool to cover the Supreme Court.
嗯,我想報道最高法院應該是個不錯的選擇。
2.I mean... their decision affects so many people.
我的意思是,他們的決定是怎樣影響群眾的。
第 20 段
1.That is really a goal worth striving for.
這確實是一個值得為之努力的目標。
2.So, why not continue major in political science?
那麼,為什麼不繼續讀政治科學呢?
3.And as electives, you could take some Pre-Law classes like constitutional Law, and as for you work on the student newspaper paper, maybe they let you cover some local court cases once that the student and professor here would want to read about.
同時你還可以選修一些法律預備課程,像憲法,而對你來說,在學生報社工作,一旦這裡的學生和老師想讀相關的文章了,他們可能就會讓你報道一些當地法庭的案件。
第 21 段
1.Do you know of any?
那你知道哪些案件嗎?
第 22 段
1.I do, actually. There is case involving this computer software program that one of our professors wrote.
我知道,事實上,有關於計算機軟體程式的案件,是我們這裡一位老師寫的文章。
2.** **
第 23 段
1.Wow... I will definitely follow up on that!
哇,我一定要跟蹤報道。